Thursday, January 24, 2013

Lazy Work Day

Lat night I declared that tomorrow( today) would be school free. We were going to .....I don't know what . But I knew we were going to go outside, suck in some fresh air, and were just going to......be.

Unfortunately diabetes did not believe that I was super serious about doing nothing. Up every hour checking blood sugar, treating again and again, only to get a reading that was too low to let me sleep, again, and again. I literally went to sleep "for real" not just the lay in bed and pretend to sleep or sit in some half state of consciousness, at 5:00 a.m. My alarm went off at 7:30. I snoozed till 8:30. I could feel my plans for the day and happy relaxation melting away. I was grouchy.  Take a deeeeeeeeep breath, be in the now, let the song 10,000 reasons by Matt Redmond float through my head, I convince my self to fight the grouchy...... and win!

Coffee, a little breakfast, and away we went outside to suck in the fresh air. The air was crisp, the sky was cloudless, the kids rode their bikes around the park. As luck would have it, on my day to do nothing, I met a neighbor who was spending her morning tidying up the park in the community where we live. The kids and I offer to help but she insists she doesn't have much to do that day. She does however offer to allow us to help her plant some plants she has next week. Score! We spend 45 minutes chatting in the park, talking about plants, her niece who homeschools, and ways to make our neighborhood a better place, I lover her! Come to find out she is a retired Registered Nurse/ Midwife- for those of you who do not know both my husband and I are RN's. She also happens to be wearing an orange floppy sun hat...I think I have seen a glimpse of my future self today.

Inspired by our little chat I decide that we are going to tidy up our yard. And we did, all day. My day of lazy nothingness turned into a day of work. But it was work I loved. The kids and I raked the yard, trimmed plants, and made a fire! Now I was never a girl scout and my parents weren't the camping kind, so my fire making skills are zilch! Imagine my husbands surprise when he came home, smoke billowing from the back yard, yep I had made a fire in the fire pit and it was actually burning! Of course he did need to help me a little with chopping some wood to add, but none the less I made fire! We stayed outside until the sun went down. It was a glorious day!

I didn't really sleep last night and yet somehow I feel refreshed tonight. Plans for planting our garden next month are starting to come alive. Days like this, when I can work in the yard with the kids, and just have fun doing nothing, watching them laugh and dance around as they throw leaves in the fire, are the days I live for. They are the days that burrow deep inside your mind's heart and create emotions you never forget. I count my self the luckiest person in the world to have these great people, my husband, my children , and new friendships at my side. What a blessed day!              

No comments:

Post a Comment