Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 4 -Report Card Day

So today was report card day.........

No not the ABC kind but the Diabetes kind. For those of you who do not know my youngest in a type 1 diabetic. We meet with the Endocrinologist, Dietitian, and Nurse Educator once every three months.
Normally this is annoying to me because it takes up my whole day. It's a 40 minute drive each way and we are there for two hours. That means almost four hours of our day is shot. In addition to the regular annoyance and added stress of finding out if you have been a good pancreas, I was also a bit annoyed by the fact that I forgot about that detail when I decided to blog every day this week.

And then I realized that it might actually be a good thing. Homeschooling is not always done at home. It can be done in the car, in a doctors office,in a library,or in a park. In fact some of our best days are when we homeschool on the back porch in the garden in the spring or fall. Now how to work out homeschooling on the beach?hhhmmm....

Today our work was done in the car and at the doctors office. The night before I came up with a plan for the work that they could do on the go. Today this included things like spelling lists, math warmers and lesson worksheets, grammar tests, flash cards, and chapter books. Before we left we loaded everyone's backpacks  with their supplies and off we went!

I realize it sounds funny that my kids have backpacks but my mom happens to work at a local state college and so there you go. They were free and they Come in handy.

Let's roll!
         
So serious

Maybe school in the car is a better idea than I had though......quietness..... ahhh!

Apparently schooling in the car is a pretty popular idea and there is even a book about it called Carschooling by Dianne Flynn Keith. I may have to check that out.


Well I know that this was a short one but I hope that it provided another little glimpse into our world and how we school. Normally we do not have school on Friday's unless we need to catch up from a day like today, so I'll see you tomorrow !


By the way if you were wondering about the report card, it was a good one.


No comments:

Post a Comment