Friday, October 4, 2013

We Are All Called to Play a Different Part


For a long time I felt a little guilty that our day didn't match most peoples. While I don't think we should all be the same, it is hard to see things that are "good" in the lives of others that we know, and not compare on some level. But I feel like lately it had been steeling some of my joy.

Most nights I am up at least twice, checking  blood sugar on my little one( a type 1 diabetic). On a bad night when blood sugar is too high or too low, I could be up every hour or two. This has been our life for the last 4 years now. While I am not  complaining, it certainly has affected our life  and how things run greatly. Most noticeably,  the fact that our family gets up in the morning significantly later than most. While it's not really a problem per say since we home school, I still have guilt over it. Sure I make jokes about it with my friends, they all know I run on a different clock,  but it's still hard not to compare. Seeing all those moms up and at'em at 7:00 in the morning, sending their kids off to school, making breakfast, or other homeschoolers going on early morning field trips,or even those whose day is done at 12:00 noon. Tough stuff. I beat myself up a little and think I should be able to be awake at 7:00 a.m. chipper and going strong.

I could think of a million other examples, things I see that are " good"  in the lives of others, women who are missionaries, women who sew, women who have careers and homes, women who are going back to school, women who have spotless homes, women who do so many good things. But then I look at my kids, and I think about who they are and who they will want to be. I think about the fact that God has given me these 3  beautiful children to mold and guide according to his word, and I think no, no I do not want to follow anyone else's version of "good". We have all been called to play a different part. Sure, I could push my self to get out of bed at 7:00 in the morning, but would I still be able to guide them and follow God's will for our lives if I was just "playing the part" vs living the part I was meant to play? Would they see joy and grace?  I don't think so......

So I guess my  question to you is this  "What is your part?" "Who is in your home right now, who will they grow up to be, what snapshots are they putting away in their memory banks?"

If you don't have small children in your home, I think the question remains " What is your part?"

Are you being true to it, your family, or to God?


 I decided to try a little activity with the kids at the beginning of this school year. Although at that time, I didn't realize how all of it would unfold later, but here is what we did and what we found out.

I simply asked each child, what are your favorite subjects and what goals do you have for the year and why?

K, age 10:
My favorite subjects are: History, Latin, Science, and Grammar
My goal this year is to learn a foreign language and more about history but specifically medieval times and the Hebrews. "When I grow up  I would like to be an archaeologist and/or teacher."

This year she got a subscription to "Dig Magazine" The archaeology magazine for kids.  


A, age 9:

My favorite Subjects are : Grammar, Math, and Science.
"My goal is to have better handwriting and be ahead on science and math so that I can be a great baker and author when I grow up."

This year's subscription to "American Girl" magazine. Lots of info on baking, parties, and girly stuff 




L, Age 7

My favorite subjects are: Science, Math, and reading.
My goal is to speak more clearly, learn to play the piano, the guitar, and do wood crafting.
"When I grow up I would like to be a Mechanic, Artist, or Baker, but I think I might also want to be a dentist because I can brush my teeth as good as anyone else"

Well, this is a picture of him carving his spelling words into a bar of soap, I don't know, can we say it ties in to learning how to do wood crafts/ carving?  Ya, I don't think so, but it was fun. This years magazine subscription is "National Geographic Kids"




Each child different, called to play a different part, but each beautiful none the less. Each special and unique, so why is it that as adults we have such a hard time seeing it in our selves?  


I think this verse says it beautifully, Ephesians 2:10;  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

What good works were you prepared for? Why would you ever want to be something else?  























No comments:

Post a Comment