Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Pesto and Veggies


So, Today we made dinner using two things from our basket; the cauliflower and the mushrooms. 

You will notice that many of the ingredients I am using today are similar to yesterdays ingredients. When I plan out our meals every Thursday after our co-op pick up ,I try to plan around what we get and also plan what I have to purchase from the store that can be used in more than one way.

So today we have 

Cauliflower crust pizza with a spinach and cashew pesto and  veggies.

I also made another cauliflower crust pizza that had pizza sauce and mozzarella . 

I have tried several cauliflower crusts and this one is  by far the "Best Cauliflower Pizza Recipe" I have had. You can find the recipe to the one I used with the steps here
at " Tasty Kitchen" 



Here a few pictures I took today though of the process.

The recipe calls for dried herbs but I have fresh so that is what I used ( it was still great- maybe better) 




Other ingredients for the crust ( see recipe for details) 
What I really like about this crust is that it is a low carb, gluten free, and corn free option. That means our entire family with all of it's allergies and dietary needs can eat this. That's a win in my book.
  


Cauliflower in the "Ninja" to turn into cauliflower "snow"





This next step( ringing out the cauliflower) is really important so do a good job!



The cauliflower and other ingredients to be mixed




I formed our dough into two rectangles but one large circle would work nicely also



The crust gets pre-baked. This is what it looks like after 10 minutes



So now, onto the pesto to spread on your crust 

This is not the typical version of a pesto but my own

You will need 

1 package of baby spinach
1/2 cup of toasted cashews
1/4 cup of olive oil ( or more if you like) 
3 oz. Parmesan cheese
the juice of one lemon ( or more if you like- I do ) 
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1/4 tsp of pepper
and salt to taste


I place everything in my "Ninja" and pulse ( traditionally you would use a mortar and pestle)


This is what you get. You should have some texture left. If it is completely smooth you have gone too far.
I also happen to use this over pasta as a sauce and it is delicious that way too. 


Then I saute veggies. In our house it's onions, peppers, mushrooms( from the co-op), and water chestnuts    (they add a nice crunch) 



Everything gets sauteed in a pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper


Once that is done you are ready to assemble.




When it comes out of the oven


YUMMY!


We are really loving our co-op goodies! I hope you all are also!

See you tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment