Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Growth

Growth, such a difficult thing, something we tend to fight because it means change, something we see as scary. But why? Yes, change can be all of those things mentioned above, but sometimes.....no many times it can be a wonderful thing. Even if we have to go through the difficult or the scary to get there.

I have spent the last few months thinking of a great many things, deciding what changes to make and what  things to hold on to. Some choices were simpler than others but in the end the choices were exactly right. It was like finally deciding to toss that old shirt that never really fit or was itchy to begin with, even if you did pay a lot for it. It just wasn't worth it.

Or perhaps it is  like a garden, when we trim away the old or the dead and we make room for the new and the living, the part that is growing.

While I won't go into great detail about some of the more difficult decisions, I will share a few of the changes that were easy.


First and foremost, the garden.

Now before I tell you what is happening right now I need to update you on a few projects I had told you about toward the end of last year. Loofah! So I decided to grow these and try making my own natural sponges.  


So starting at the top, that is the outer "skin" of the loofah, I cut out a thin strip ( seen at the bottom)
and then out pops the fibrous part that you use for a sponge( middle) 

Up close view.  I cut them into 2 pieces and then soaked them in white vinegar afterwards to whiten them a little. 
I have to tell you I love these and I will be growing more this year!

In addition I also told you about attempting to grow fall peanuts. I only grew a few which was a mistake but again like the loofah they will be part of my garden this year.


So a few weeks ago I planted my garden because it was " time" and then we got this awful cold weather but luckily we did not lose anything . Right now we are at the point where we have 3 8x4 beds in the back for growing and a few pots. In one of the beds I decided to try the "3 sisters" a Native American approach . They are corn- I am growing popcorn, something I did last year and saved seeds from what we grew, beans- I chose an heirloom bush variety, and squash- I chose butternut.  In the two other garden beds I have alternating rows of tomatoes and carrots. I have chosen 2 heirloom varieties of tomato. A Black Krim that is salty! And a Cherokee Purple that is smoky! What fun! Lets see what happens. I also decided to do the 16 foot sunflowers along my back fence again because we so enjoyed them for their beauty and also the delicious snack they became when they were roasted at the end of the season.

Before I move on I want to tell you about an amazing book that helps me decide when the "time" is to plant. It is called "Planetary Planting" "A Guide to Organic Gardening by the Signs of the Zodiac" by Louise Riotte. Now just to clear things up this book is about natural astrology which means the branch of astrology used to make calendars, record phases of the moon, and determine high and low tides. It has nothing to do with Judicial astrology which claims to predict events like the rise and fall of nations, war, or your future.   I happen to know that it is no longer in print but can be found on Amazon and or probably e- bay.


So homeschooling!

I have been eyeing and recently purchased a Latin curriculum for the kids and it has been a blast! The kids can not wait for each new lesson. What I love is that it not only teaches them Latin but also prayers in Latin. I just think that is such a neat thing. The first course starts with the " Prima Latina" workbook and CD and works its way up to more difficult material in Latina Christiana I and II. This is a very parent friendly choice if you choose to study Latin with your children.


Food!

So this month I decided to take the " Meatless March Challenge" and while our family does not usually eat very much meat at all,  I decided to completely forgo it this month. In addition a small group of us started a group online where we can share what we are cooking, how things are going, recipes, and encouragement. I have really enjoyed this group.

In addition I became part of a local organic co-op where I can purchase fruit and vegetables, pastured eggs, and raw honey, just to name a few things. It has been such a blessing! In addition to being delicious, the prices are wonderful, and I know I am feeding my family great food.  

So ........I have a new food find that recently blew my mind! It is Cashew cream. I don't mean cashew butter, no I mean cashew cream. I found a recipe for a vegan portobello cashew cream risotto. So I tagged it, and thought about it, and then just ripped the band-aid  off and tried it. It was FABULOUS! The best risotto I have ever had! Even the kids said so. Instead of using cheese in your risotto you substitute this cashew cream! It is so good that if no one told you you would have no idea, you would just think it is delicious!. So here is the recipe to try because it would be selfish of me  not to share this yumminess! http://myboyfriendisvegan.com/an-introduction-to-cashew-cream-and-risotto/ 



I will add that I left out the asparagus.


So another new-ish thing that makes me happy in the kitchen is this little baby



  


A Himalayan Rock Salt cutting board!

You can cure thin pieces of fish on it, or put it in your grill and salt your meat or vegetables while they cook on it, or use it as a cutting board. And because it is made of salt bacteria can not grow on it. After you are done using it you can simply wipe it with a slightly damp cloth and move on. It is a ROCK.... star. Ya, couldn't help myself. 



So as I close this post about change I want to share one of my favorite little stories/ lessons. It is simple and actually something my husband reads to the kids, but I think is so full of truth, in so many ways. 


I asked the zebra,

Are you black with white stripes? 
Or white with black stripes?
And the zebra asked me,
Are you good with bad habits?
Or are you bad with good habits?
Are you noisy with quiet times?
Or are you quiet with noisy times?
Are you happy with some sad days?
Or are you sad with some happy days?
Are you neat with some sloppy ways?
Or are you sloppy with some neat ways?
And on, and on, and on, and on,and on, and on he went.
I'll never ask a zebra about stripes again.

- Shel Silverstein

If you allow me a little creative liberty we can use this as an analogy for decisions about growth and change.  While decisions are not always black or white, good or bad, they must be made if we are to resist stagnation. 


Change is good! Stop fighting it! And most importantly be true to your self and your beliefs!




Joanna        



  



                 

No comments:

Post a Comment