Tuesday, March 26, 2013

College Day

So before I get to all the details of the day I should give you a little bit of the backstory. My husband and I met at a local college. My mother, after I had already graduated, went back to college at the very same school. She is now employed at the college. Because of this we were able to participate in "Bring your child ( in our case grandchild) to work day". We went last year and had a wonderful time but this year was even better!  So here are a few pictures of what we saw and learned about today!   

This is early this morning at the college after they had decorated their name tags and were waiting for the day to begin. Can I point out that I woke them up at 6:30 a.m. so we could be there at 8:30 a.m.? But it was worth it! 

A picture of them in front of a painting of the first president of the college . He was president for 30 years!  

Touring the college library- they also have a food court inside!

At the health building looking at trophies

Inside the gym burning some steam

Sweet! The Planetarium! 

I wish I would have been able to take a picture during the show. We got a 45 minute lesson that  amazed me! We learned that Saturn has an ice moon. That means that it has a moon ( named Enceladus)  with volcanoes that spew ice instead of lava. The official term for a volcano that shoots frozen water, methane, or ammonia is a cryovolcano. This is why there is a ring of ice around Saturn!  Seriously blew my mind! Eh... I mean the kids .........

This is at the science lab. They had three -10 minute stations all centered around the theme of germs. This was one. The germ games on the computer.

This was the second station they visited. Mock germ gel was applied to their hands and they were able to look at it under special lighting and see the "germs" glow. The orange is the germ gel. 


At the third section they were given black lights and asked to go around the lab and look for germs. Hot spots were handles, knobs, and keyboards.   The science department gave out bio-hazard  stickers and hand sanitizer to each child at the end of the activity. 

This was Legal Affairs. They went over the rules at school and home. They then picked a small toy or object out of a bucket. Once selected,  they were then asked to write a rule about their item. For example, if you selected an eraser, the rule could be, never chew on your eraser. They were able to keep the object they picked, and were also  given pencils from the department.   

Looking at the wall plaques on the way to visit the Fire Science department.

Fire Science! How cool  is it that they let us look at the supply room- and tools!

More Fire Science supplies!

Dragging a "child dummy" at the Fire Science activity. He/ she is very heavy by the way! 

They let them use the hose to knock down a cone!

In the "burn building" Students of the college get real experience fighting fires.  The ceiling is 600+ degrees when they are inside and it is lit! Glad we are not real students! 

Emergency Medical Services did not disappoint. They re-enacted an emergency visit to someones home. The little boy simulator talks and answers questions about how he feels during the simulation. My little boy happens to be suffering from some pretty severe allergies right now and has been coughing like a banshee for about a month. They asked if they could record his cough to use for the simulator- so funny! They also had other children act out/ say a few lines to add to the simulators vocabulary.     

Visiting some of the other simulators at the EMS department.


Criminal Justice included a little "basic training" with the kids. SO funny!
The "take down" in the Criminal Justice Department
Beating up a few  "manly targets"

It was a wonderful and busy day! And I wish I had more energy and space to share more of what we learned and did because it was a wonderful experience. I am so thankful to all of the people who made this day possible. It was truly amazing that they would take a day to welcome so many young children through their doors and educate and feed them also- pizza party! 

 Before our day was over we needed to make a quick stop over at the co-op to pick up our goodies. I couldn't resist getting a picture of one of the pretty little chickens that walk around there.  


Before I close I have to say this. To all of you ladies who work outside of the home and have families, and then come home and cook and clean.......my hat's off to you! I do not know how you do it
 everyday! We got home at almost 6:00 p.m.I am wiped! 

Alright, well, that is it for today, I hope you come back tomorrow and see what we are doing to celebrate and learn about Passover.  



No comments:

Post a Comment