Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day two of five into the life of homeschool

Many mornings I start my day with a devotional of some type. Right now I am finding the book " One Hundred and one Devotions for Homeschool Moms" by Jackie Wellwood very helpful! I know that with the task of homeschooling three young elementary level students I need all the  knowledge, wisdom, and inspiration I can get. It is not because the material is so difficult to teach but  because of the quality of the teaching I want to do. I want my interactions as a mother and as their teacher to reflect the virtues I am attempting to instill in them.  If I want my children to be kind and patient, honest and faithful, I must model those behaviors. On days  like today "Molasses Days" I need to draw upon the source of my strength. For me it is God's word. In addition it may be regular time with other homeschooling moms to exchange ideas.What is a "molasses day" well that's what I call a day when things seem to take eons longer than you have planned. It's when the material you are teaching seems a bit too abstract and so you need to take the lesson a little slower and be a little more creative.We all have these days and that is a normal part of homeschooling. At times you will feel like the one who is being tested. Today I feel like I have passed my test. Despite the slowness of the day we achieved everything on our list and it was done in a way that was accepting of the moment. On days like this you can go with the flow or you can try and force the process along. I have learned that children like garden plants can not be forced to grow any faster than they are ready to at the time and you may as well save yourself a  headache and make yourself a cup of tea and cozy up to where you are at. At this moment my test is patience and  involves a small child who is talking to me at almost 12:00 a.m. because they have a stomach ache (or they just like staying up to read- not sure ). Inspiration and Preparation = less Perspiration and more Success! 
 

So today's school day included:

     May 15, 2012

Bible: Sauls conversion / Metamorphosis
Video: Road to Damascus

BrainPOP jr.: Rocks and minerals

BrainPop-

Mineral identification: color, Mohs scale, luster, streak test

Types of rock: Igneous, Sedimentary, metamorphic

Rock cycle

Girls: Define vocabulary words- write on index cards/ L: online ABCya

How Rocks Form: C12

Rock Cycle activity ( crayon)

Review questions

Saxon Math
K S3
A S2
L:S1

Reading: girls: HOP 4/5 Orange Level  Lesson 24

L: HOP 1.5 Red Level



And the pics: 

 Vocabulary


The product of our Rock Cycle Activity using crayons. 
See the link above 
* I strongly recommend doing this outside!!!!   Live and learn :) 

                                                 
If you happen to have crayon maker like this one I suggest you use it instead of the foil version listed
The results are comparable! 




 And because we couldn't let National Chocolate Chip Day pass us by


Hope you enjoyed.........and see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment