Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Get your Fruits and Veggies




For almost a year I have been getting the majority of my fruits and vegetables from an organic food co- op. A friend told me about the group a while back.  Knowing the amount of fruit and vegetables we eat, the prices of organic fruit and vegetables at the store, and the quantity of fruits and vegetables for the money we could get at the co-op, I could not pass it up.
Recently I decided to become one of the pick up sites for the co-op. People are always surprised when they ask and find out that I do not get a paycheck for doing this. I do however get a discount on my own box, but the reason for doing this is because I truly believe that what the co-op offers is amazing. Organic fruits and vegetables, sourced as locally as possible, and seasonally, at a lower cost because a middle man is not involved.  

So our first co-op pick up at our home......


Supplies, I liked the aqua totes..and it didn't hurt that they match my kitchen towels.





6:00 a.m. waiting for the truck driver, who incidentally had to call me that morning because the GPS system in his truck could not locate our house. My sweet husband was waiting with me sharing some morning coffee time.  


\



This is what our neighborhood looks like at 6:00 a.m.........dark






The goodies arrived. The driver unloaded them on a palate in our garage. Talk about service....he comes to your house! We woke the kids up early and unwrapped everything together. Kinda like Christmas don't you think .





One of our favorite things from this delivery, rainbow carrots






 This is what one looks like when it is peeled. Aren't they beautiful! They taste delicious too!






This was another favorite, rainbow tomatoes. I have never seen those at the store!
I am not sure why but I can not get this picture to turn......






Artichokes! Some of our favorite! We ate ours for dinner that night steamed and dipped in a lemon butter sauce. Yummy!







Here is a picture of the kids. They are helping at each pick up day to separate and box the produce we receive. They are also earning a little money in the process and learning how to tithe, save, and spend.






More fun loading those totes. The kids were great!!






Lots of pretty plums. The kids helped to inspect them and make sure everyone got the same amount. Don't worry I double check everything!







Here are the totes all loaded up and ready to go.






Here is a picture of what everyone got this pick up...I did notice however that 2 pieces of  produce are hidden in this picture- oops!






All in all I would say that our first pick up was a success. We worked together as a family and got to share in the excitement of the people who came to our home when they saw what they were getting. Not to mention getting some really delicious produce for ourselves. If you are local we would love to have you, at this time my site is full, but others are opening as we speak. You can get more information here:  http://bit.ly/15D6MPd
We also have access to local farmers who provide eggs, meat, and honey!

If you are not local I encourage you to find and become part of a CSA ( Community Supported Agriculture), it is really a wonderful experience! Don't know where there is one in your area? That's o.k., you can find out here    http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Thanks for reading along! Eat local, fresh, sustainable, and organic!

No comments:

Post a Comment